Triploidy

As you can imagine, it was hard to wait for the chromosomal test results. I had all sorts of "what ifs" and questions run through my head. What if it was my uterus that caused the miscarriage? What if I can't have another baby? What if Michael resents me because my body is messed up? What if this is all my fault? What if it wasn't my uterus, and the baby had chromosomal abnormalities, is it ok for that to be good news?  What if I should have had another surgery and we made the wrong decision to try when we did? What if it wasn't my body, is it ok to be grateful for that? Is it selfish to be hopeful it wasn't my uterus that caused the miscarriage?

SO MANY things went through my mind in that 8-day wait.


When I got the call from the doctor's office with the results I was SO READY and tired of anticipating. Thankfully, it was during my daughter's nap time so I was able to completely focus and ask all the questions (other parents out there know exactly how perfect this timing is).


Our baby had what is called full triploidy. Three sets of chromosomes. Typically, there are 2 sets of chromosomes, 23 from the mother and 23 from the father. Our baby had an extra set. Instead of 46 chromosomes, there were 69 chromosomes.


My first question to the nurse was- Could we have done something to prevent this- the answer was no. Next question- Is it hereditary- the answer was no. Last question- Am I more at risk of having another baby with triploidy- the answer was no.


This was bittersweet news. Bitter because our baby never had a chance of survival but sweet because it wasn't my uterus that caused the miscarriage.


I had lots of emotions...Sad, heartbroken, thankful, hopeful, and relieved. 

Sad and heartbroken because of our loss. Thankful and relieved because it wasn't my uterus. 

And hopeful for the future. 



“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; 
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; 
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned
and the flame shall not consume you.” 
Isaiah 43:2


Comments

Popular Posts